Period covering 1 April 2011 to 31 March 2012
The Public Services Reform (Scotland) Act 2010 requires SPT to publish an efficiency statement after the end of each financial year. This statement identifies the steps taken by SPT during that financial year:
- to promote and increase sustainable growth through the exercise of its functions; and
- to improve efficiency, effectiveness and economy in the exercise of its functions.
The relevant efficiency statement for SPT for the year ending 31 March 2012 is set out below.
The Act also requires SPT to provide details on the current level of shared services provided by the public body. During the year SPT has:
- delivered on behalf of 11 local authorities school transport planning, delivery and monitoring of services ensuring that over 40,000 journeys a day were undertaken, transporting children to and from school;
- delivered the management and maintenance of bus stops and shelters for 12 local authorities;
- managed and monitored the Strathclyde Concession Scheme on behalf of 12 local authorities; and
- in partnership with Glasgow City Council Social Work department, utilised SPT’s travel dispatch centre to deliver savings on voluntary club transport costs through improved scheduling.
Statement of Efficiency
|Theme||Description of efficiency measure identified to be delivered||Anticipated saving||Impact on service delivery and performance / other information|
|Workforce Planning||Revise staffing levels.||£1,483,000||Obtain staff savings from revised structures and staffing levels in several departments.|
|Asset Management||Rates rebates.||£409,000||Obtain rates rebates for various sites within the SPT estate.|
|Procurement||Management of subsidised bus contracts.||£788,000||Maintain subsidised bus services in SPT area whilst achieving efficiencies through procurement and management of contracts.|
|Shared Services||Various efficiency savings in support of agency contracts.||£68,000||Obtain staff savings from management efficiencies.|
|Other||Increase interest earned on cash balances.||£285,000||Obtain greater return on interest earned whilst maintaining priorities of security and liquidity on capital sums.|
|Procurement||Various efficiency savings on external communications contracts.||£201,000||Obtain savings from review of external communications contracts.|
|Procurement||Various efficiency savings on external support contracts.||£91,000||Obtain efficiencies from review of IT support contracts.|